Multiplication mastery has been the Achilles heel of many a student, whether homeschooled or not! My children are certainly no exception. They have all struggled with memorizing multiplication facts despite using a variety of different programs and methods to teach them. When we were given the opportunity to try out Math-U-See's Accelerated Individualized Mastery (AIM) for Multiplication with a Bridge to Division, I was hopeful that my ten-year-old son would establish a solid understanding of his multiplication facts.
About the Program
The Accelerated Individualized Mastery (AIM) for Multiplication with a Bridge to Division program is a multi-sensory approach to mastering multiplication facts. My son was able to tap into his kinesthetic learning style with the blocks and reinforce it with writing and vocalization of each of the facts. The kit includes everything needed to learn all of the multiplication facts for 2s through 10s. There are online video lessons for parents and students that help explain the process used in the program. Each lesson also includes a number of online printable resources and activities that can be used when more help is needed.
Physical materials include:
- Blocks (very sturdy colored counting blocks)
- Resource Guide
- Flashcards for all of the facts
- Strategy Posters that can be displayed
Using the Program
This program takes a unique approach to multiplication mastery. Many programs that we've used over the years used things such as rhymes or songs to help with memorization, and of course, there's the traditional flashcard memorization method. Math-U-See's program doesn't just focus on rote memorization. It attempts to help children master the multiplication facts by understanding HOW the numbers are broken down and WHY the answer is what it is.
This was HUGE for my son!
The numbers of the multiplication facts were no longer abstract. There were blocks that he could touch and see and manipulate in different ways to understand why 4 x 3 is the same as 3 x 4.
There is a bit of a learning curve for the parent/teacher in order to understand the process that is used and the steps involved in teaching, but once you have that down the rest is pretty smooth sailing. There are very detailed video lessons that help you prepare ahead of time.
All of the lessons are split into what's referred to as "Sessions." Each session is meant to evaluate understanding and mastery.
- Session A - This is the step where children will "Build, Say, Write" each multiplication problem that they're working with for the lesson. This is the meat of the program and the most important foundational step.
- Session B - Various word problems are introduced that cover the multiplication facts and really get the child thinking about and applying what they've learned.
- Session C - At this point, the child will move away from using the blocks and begin to draw rectangles instead. This step further cements the visual of the multiplication fact.
- Session D - This is where you will assess what your child has learned and which multiplication facts have been mastered.
The key to this program isn't just rushing through to complete the steps, it is focusing on understanding and mastery.
Don't Just Take My Word For It!
This is only one of 25 reviews from families that have used the Accelerated Individualized Mastery (AIM) for Multiplication with a Bridge to Division program from Math-U-See. Be sure to visit the Homeschool Review Crew page to read more reviews by clicking on the banner below.